Who is Gabriel Plotkin?
11 Fast Facts About the Founder of Melvin Capital...
Understand the World in 4-Minute Bites
1. Plotkin graduated from Northwestern University with an Economics degree in 2001.
2. After graduating from Northwestern, Plotkin joined Citadel LLC, billionaire Ken Griffin’s hedge fund.
3. In 2006, Plotkin became a trader at SAC Capital, a group of hedge funds founded by billionaire Steven A. Cohen (below). Plotkin quickly became one of the most prominent traders at the fund.
4. In 2015, Plotkin set out on his own and founded Melvin Capital with $1 billion under management.
5. Plotkin named Melvin Capital after his late grandfather who was a small-business owner.
6. In its first year, the fund had returns of 47%, ranking it 2nd in Bloomberg's 2015 list of top-performing funds with over $1 billion under management.
7. Per Forbes, Plotkin was the 20th highest-earning hedge fund manager in 2017, earning $ 300 million.
8. He used his earnings to buy $44 million worth of waterfront property in Miami Beach.
9. Plotkin also purchased a stake in the Charlotte Hornets, an NBA team. The team is co-owned by basketball legend, Michael Jordan.
10. Plotkin is a diehard Patriots fan, and his favorite athlete is Tom Brady.
11. As of January 2021, Melvin Capital had $12.5 billion under management. The funds were invested primarily in tech and consumer stocks.